Milestone at St. Vital Church
It was on January 5th, 1914 that St. Vital Church received the official title of Parish. Since its humble beginnings in 1861 the little catholic community ran as a mission church of St. Boniface Cathedral. In those 53 years it was often the Archbishop himself who would come to celebrate Mass for the community of St. Vital. By 1914 the community had grown enough to support its own parish priest and so would be raised to the status of Parish. Along with the designation the Redemptorist Priests who had been serving the parish since 1912 were given permission to build a new church. Land was purchased on Manahan Ave for this purpose.